Friday, February 8, 2013

Giving up idols is hard + Jazz Music

DAMN this is difficult!

I mean...I've been checking idol news every day for over four years, and I've been listening to them every day as well...

Literally.  Every. Single. Day.

THEY MAKE ME SO HAPPY!  Like...I dunno.  And this really came at a bad time, 'cause I'm ultra stressed, and my SM at my current show-job-thing isn't gelling with me very well right now.  I mean, we're friends and all, but it probably wasn't the best idea to be working with her professionally.

And the fact that I'm supervising rehearsals every day doesn't give me much time at all to go discover new non-idol Jpop musicians at the moment.

I wonder if there are any Jpop musicians whose music will give me the same happy feelings as idol music without actually being idols.  Any recommendations?

I will definitely be keeping up with Reina's band though, because technically, they aren't idols!  HAHA!

But anyway, I need to be looking for new music.

Or I could do a cool post of what music I listen to that isn't idols so I can look for similar things.  I think that might be a good thing to start with.

But yeah, since my last post, I've kind of retreated into Kpop, and that's kind of cheating, since they're still idols and can't date either.

Dammit.

But I've been listening to this song on repeat:

EXID--Every Night


I'm seriously addicted to this song right now.

UGH BUT THEY'RE STILL IDOLS.  But they have great voices and are super talented!

I can't give up idols.  T___T

I guess going cold turkey wasn't a realistic idea after all.

I mean, I don't want to fully give them up ever, but I want to diversify my musical taste.

That's a good goal methinks.

So I'll try to make more posts on here about new music discoveries....

Music Discovery Monday?

I don't know, I'll keep thinking about it.

I have to wait until the show I'm working is over though, 'cause I barely have any time.

But then again I am writing this post right now....who knows?

I guess I can do status updates on my idol music intake for the week or something.

So for this week, it's been pretty much a repeat of "Every Night" constantly.  That and Spica's "Lonely" since I'm learning it for KKMS's upcoming show at All-Con (which is a month from now!!!).


So yeah, these two idol songs, and a bunch of Etta James and Billie Holiday.

I guess I've been doing pretty good then since it's only two idol songs for the week!

....even if I have been listening to them non stop. XD

At least I have Etta James and Billie Holiday to keep me company in my blues.  Here are some songs that I've been listening to from Etta and Billie.

A Sunday Kind of Love



My Dearest Darling


I Just Want Make Love to You


Autumn in New York


Summertime


I'm glad I've gotten into Jazz music again.  I used to listen to it a lot when I was a child, but I got so into idols and pop music that I didn't listen to it as much.  Jazz music is so good to listen to on rainy days, lazy days, or days when you're just feeling good.  But a different kind of good than idol-y good.

Am I making any sense?  I hope so, because I want to share my joy of Jazz with you! XD

Some good instrumental Jazz I've been listening to a lot has been by Mr. Sidney Bechet:

Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me


Si tu vois ma mere



Jazz Music is also a great way for me to look back on the history of my country, since it was invented here in the US.  I always feel like I'm being put in the way back machine whenever I listen to it.  It makes me want to put on my best clothes and go drink a cocktail and see live music, or a burlesque show, cabaret, or go dancing!

I started listening to idol music because I wanted something different from American music...but Jazz music makes me love my country again. XD  I mean, I'm all for listening to music from different countries (well duh Kaya), but it's always good to go back to your roots and listen to things like this...

And what's really awesome about it is that the women in Jazz don't have to be super feminine or cutesy.  They usually have warmer, fuller voices, which make them more relatable to women like me, who have that type of voice.  Y'all know I do idol song covers, but I do tend to get some flack for not having a high enough timbre to sing them.  I have no problem with my timbre and jazz.  But that's more of a personal reason for liking jazz than a universal one.

Do y'all like Jazz music?  If so, who are some of your favorite artists?  I'd like to learn more about it.

And here's something to chew on:


This is the MV for Jay Chou's "A Larger Cello."  This is super cool because it's Jazz inspired, but it's still Chinese pop music!  It's a super interesting fusion, and I've been listening to it for a while now.

This has definitely sparked my interest in Jay Chou, so I'll have to listen to more of his music and get back to you on it. ;)  This also makes me want to look for Jazz artists in other countries to see their take on Jazz music.

I'll be back with more music soon, thanks for reading! <3

P.S.  I apologize this post is basically stream of consciousness/word-vomit, but I had to get it out!  I'll try to structure future posts better from now on.

3 comments:

  1. I love my Jpop idols, AC/DC, and jazz. Try this guy (Clark Terry):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AvImcsbt1U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW he's awesome! Thanks so much for the recommendation! ^--^

      Delete
  2. Giving up idols is hard. I think it's harder to give up listening to their music than hearing news about them. But there are so many idols that have been a part of our lives that it is hard to escape from them.

    ReplyDelete