Sunday, June 9, 2013

Foreign Idols: Why they usually don't work

OKAY.

This is an issue that has been on my mind for some time, and I feel like I should talk about it before I continue with my regular idol blogging.

So if you don't already know, there is a large community of teenage girls on YouTube who upload covers of Jpop and Kpop songs and dances.  I happen to be one of those people.  It's fun!  It's a cool little hobby and you can meet people with similar interests!  That's how I first met Chiima of Okay Musume Time!  Making covers of songs on YouTube isn't the problem here.  Many popular singers now have been "discovered" through their YouTube channels (Justin Bieber being a good example).

The problem arises when these young (mostly Caucasian) girls believe that because they upload covers of Jpop/Kpop songs on YouTube, that they can go and be idols in Japan or Korea.  "If Beckii Cruel can do it, so can I!"  If these girls want to be singers, dancers, entertainers, whatever, that's fine.  It's good to have a big dream, and to go for it with full force!  But when a dream you have is so immersed in a foreign country and culture...it can get a little tricky.

Here are the main reasons why I think it doesn't work:

1)  Relatability
So let's say one of these girls does get a record deal with an office in Japan or Korea.  Wahoo!  But do you speak the language?  Do you know the common courtesies of the country?  Manners?  Do's and Don'ts of social situations?  There are a lot of new things to learn in this situation, and it can be overwhelming (not to mention costly) for both the company and the idol to learn everything.  Without knowing all of these things mentioned above, these girls can't relate to their audience.  While, yes, there are international fans of Jpop and Kpop, the main consumers of the material are Japanese and Korean people.  Idols stand as role models for young people in these countries, and if these young people look at their TV screen and see some foreign girl standing there, they won't have the same connection as they would if it were a Japanese or Korean idol.

As a counter point to my own argument, some people may say that "Hey, music is a universal language.  It doesn't matter what language a song is in for people to enjoy it."  And I agree with that whole heartedly.  If I didn't, I wouldn't have this blog.  But there is a difference between different languages and different ethnicity. For example, artists like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry have held concerts in Japan and Korea, and have been on variety shows there.  The concerts are always packed and the fans sing along in English even though they may not always know what they are singing.  But Gaga and Perry made it in the music industry of their home country first.  They are sharing their music to a global audience, and aren't trying to force themselves into the Japanese idol culture which they don't understand.



Bringing back the whole Beckii Cruel thing, I think this point was a HUGE reason of why it didn't work out for her.  She wasn't fluent in the language when she went to Japan, she didn't know all of the customs, and it was painfully obvious that she had no clue what she was doing.  She was cute, and people liked to look at her, but that can only last someone for so long in the entertainment industry.  Her 15 seconds of "fame" in Japan have come and gone, and last time I checked, no one in Japan gives a damn about her anymore.

She recently announced that she would be recording another Japanese single independently, and as some of you may know, she co-founded Oishii Project.  One of the main goals of Oishii Project is for their girls to make it in Japan.  But if you look at their YouTube videos, Facebook Page, and Tumblr Blog, most of their comments and fans are other girls who want to be in Oishii Project, or want to be idols in Japan themselves. Their main market is these teenage girls, not their target audience of Japanese people.

2)  The importance of Asian musicians in the global music scene
You may disagree with me on this point, but I think one of the great things about Jpop and (more so) Kpop's global reach is that it debunks stereotypes about Asian people.  In many Western countries, Asian people are seen as awkward, submissive, unattractive, among other things.  Asian music artists are kicking those stereotypes in the face and are showing the world that yes, Asian people can be sexy, can be talented, and have a whole lot to offer to the entertainment industry.  In Western countries (and the United States in particular), it's very difficult for Asian people to make it big in the music industry because of the aforementioned stereotypes.  There are plenty of Jpop and Kpop stars that are mixed race, or Asian-American (Canadian, European, etc.) that have gone to Japan or Korea because they couldn't make it in their home country (for example:  Kevin and Eli from U-Kiss, Tiffany and Jessica from SNSD, Amber and Krystal from f(x), etc).  Because of the Jpop and Kpop industries, they have the chance to follow their dreams and show off their own talents.

As a foreigner of no Asian ethnic background, if you were to go and take a spot in an office in Japan or Korea, you'd be taking away a spot for a talented Asian person who would have a difficult time making it elsewhere.  (And for the record, I'm not saying it's impossible for Asian people to make it in the Western music industry, hey, look at Far East Movement, but I'm saying that it's much less likely and it would take a hell of a lot more work).


I'm not trying to discourage those who have dreams of performing.  Being a singer is one of my dreams too, and I am also a fan of Jpop and Kpop.  But I do think it's best for Caucasian people to find success in their own country before going overseas.  And there are definitely pros to doing this!

1)  You speak the language.  No language courses required!
2)  You know the proper manners and customs
3)  Your audience can relate to you!

And plus, if you don't like the music your country is producing, YOU CAN CHANGE IT.  I'm not saying it will be easy, but the entertainment industry is a constantly evolving thing, and you can be a part of that evolution.  You can take inspiration from your favorite Jpop and Kpop artists, and make music about things you care about, and people of a similar mindset will catch on.  And if you want to perform overseas, talk to your agent/record company/producer to see where you can go!  Travel and learn.  You don't need a Japanese/Korean management company to perform there.  You and your company just have to talk to the right people.

If you think YouTube covers are a fun thing to do, please keep doing them!  I plan on it!  It's a great hobby! Go perform at anime conventions like I do with my company, people there will have a great time!  But if you really want to make music, write it in your own language, and have it speak from your own personal experience.

Trust me, you will find it so much more creatively fulfilling then trying to act cute in a language you don't understand.
_______________________________________________________________________________

WHEW!  I was really worried about writing that, but I decided to take the plunge!  Let me know what your thoughts are on this issue, I'd love to hear them!

Also, just letting you know, once I have more original music to show y'all, I'll be posting it here as well as your regularly scheduled idol-fangirling.

I'm back after my month long hiatus, so please expect some cool stuff coming this Summer!

11 comments:

  1. Hey Kaya, great post, brings up a lot of interesting points. But I think this is more of a post urging people who aren't born Japanese AND don't understand the language or customs of Japan to learn them BEFORE they pursue a career in Japan. If you look at Ally and Sally or keekihime, they're doing better than beckii did as an idol because they prepared themselves. There are several entertainers in Japan of different ethnicities that are doing really well in Japan. But they learned the language and japan customs first. Keep blogging I'm following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically all the information is here but the title is a little misleading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point, and it's well made!

      Let me see what else the ol' noggin can think up title wise.

      Bless Ally and Sally. Those girls are something special.

      Delete
  3. wow, okay i think i pretty much agree with everything you've said here! but if the girls study that country's customs and stuff..i guess then can become an idol? like ally and sally or whatever..but i dont know, the whole "idol" thing isn'[t for me, i personally don't understand the whole concept. yeah, i don't see why they just cant be an artist in their own country, and get influences from kpop and jpop artists for their material.. *sigh* the world is crazy XDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the world is crazy, but that does make it entertaining, right? XD

      Delete
  4. My dream, ever since I was a child, was to be an idol...but since I was a boy, I knew it could never happen. I wanted to be in a girl group - like Morning Musume or C-ute, but I had more logic on my side haha. I decided to endorse my time in singing their song's privately instead - also buying their music now. It makes me feel happy now, but a part of me was very disappointed when I found out that I was not allowed in girl groups haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'AWW. <3

      You can create your own fabulous group, Konno! XD

      ...that just gave me an idea.

      Why haven't they come out with drag idols yet!?

      Delete
  5. I think another major point to be made is that idols are a key component of an ideal of JAPAN and JAPANESE people. While maybe it's slightly changing, Japan still likes Japanese things more than any other ethnicity or race. White girls will not sell well ever in Japan as idols (unless some radical change in ideology happens, but I doubt it will anytime soon). There are the select few that have that fetish, but to the mass, they will never sell as well as Japanese idols. Ever. Period. They look ridiculous among Japanese idols. (This is all significantly less true for Korea and Kpop. Bitches better know white girls won't sell in Japan, though. Maybe the US, who knows.) (And slightly against your Gaga and Perry argument--they aren't idols and aren't seen as such in Japan. There's a big difference between idols and singers.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BLESS YOU TSUKIKI, AND BLESS THIS COMMENT. Another fabulous point!

      Ah, I should've made that more clear. I wasn't trying to state that Gaga or Perry were idols, but they still got to perform in Japan and Korea. I'll try to be more clear next time, thank you!

      Delete
  6. YEY I really liked this!
    The only think I desagree is with Beckii, because she's studing japanese and does it great ^.^ It's possible that in japan she isn't that popular now, but she's doing a lot of works as a model >w<
    I wanna be an idol! So I'm studing japanese, I'm investigating their manners and more~ I really like Japan and I know that some "gaijins" are successful in Japan (i heard of an actor who is half japanese half spanish, and it's popular in doramas!). It's very hard like you say, but nothing is impossible ^^ ANd thanks to this post I know more things that I can do for become an idol! >w<
    It was very intresting! Thanks a lot for write about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is super cute 😆i am 14 years old and have been studying Japanese for 3 years, my dream is too become an idol!! I was wondering how to become one, if you have to be scouted or audition > . <
    Thank you for your help 💖

    ReplyDelete