Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Showgirl it up with Sistar!


Sistar is finally back with their second album, "Give It To Me!"  If you know me well enough, you know that I am obsessed with both Kpop and Showgirls.  So to have both combined in one video for me is HEAVEN.

So as far as the video is concerned, we have all of the Showgirl basics:  beautiful women, sparkles, fringe, tulle, a rain curtain, chair dancing, tophats, canes, and a giant hoop on which to sit.  It seems though, that the director mixed two different showgirl eras together.  It was released in a statement before the video was released that this video would have a Moulin Rouge concept, and I can see that in the red set with the clock and chairs, but the set with the rain curtain reminds me more of a Broadway or Vegas showgirl.  There are more modern influences with the costumes, and the microphone that appears in the beginning of the video.  There is also a set with bright blue curtains, and while it does look nice, I'm not quite sure where it fits in with the rest of the video.  It's mainly used for close up shots anyway.  The only other time the video screams Moulin Rouge is during the long line of ladies at the end.

AND HOLY SHIT WAS THAT EFFECTIVE.  Like, DAYUM.  It's been a dream of mine to have a long line of showgirls on a stage that I've directed...and to be in one...so whenever I see one I go nuts.  I actually started clapping when that shot came up.  Don't judge me.

Looking at the other choreography, the choreographer definitely used the most effective showgirl trick in the book:  guiding the eyes of your audience with your hands.  There are lots of hand flicks and twists in the choreography along with the standard Kpop sexy dropping and rubbing.  If you watch closely, you can see the girls doing their hand flicks near various places on their bodies:  their chests, legs, faces, etc.  Wherever their hands are, that's where your eyes look, and I think it's cool that the choreographer did their homework on that (and I'm sure that their fans will be happy with the effects this trick has XD).  

As for the girls themselves, they all look fabulous!  The costumes are super sparkly and fun.  The only complaint I can come up with for the costumes is that some of them look too modern.  The cuts of the pieces themselves look like you can buy them in either a fashion house or a party costume shop.  Most showgirl pieces are handmade by the costumer of a particular company, or by the performer herself.  I know it would've been much more costly to have the costumes done that way, but at least try and find something not so...cheap looking.  Anyway, Hyorin in particular looks STUNNING.  She's sporting a sleeker look than usual with the black, pin straight hair.  I love it paired with the red lace costume.  In combination, the whole look is killer!  Also, Dasom's bit with the tophat made me die.  Multiple times.  She's werkin' that ponytail too!  My favorite outfit of hers though is that white dress with the tulle train.  Very follies, and it looks great on her.  Soyu's red hair is very eye catching, although I think a different cut would flatter her better.  It's very blunt, and since she already has an angular face, I think some softening up is in order.  Showgirls are usually soft. xD  Lastly, Bora's purple streak is fun!  It's a bit more modern so it doesn't quite fit in with the showgirl theme, but it looks great on her so I guess I can let it go.  Her rap in this is flawless.  I always enjoy her raps, but in this song it blended really well.

Speaking of the song, let's move on to that!  When not considering the concept, the song is fantastic!  It's dynamic, catchy, and the girls sound great.  Hyorin and Soyu pull off some really silky high notes, and it's a great contrast to the low vamp of the piano, and like I said, Bora's rap blends with the whole song very well. Although the song itself is great, I think if they really wanted to push the showgirl concept, they could've added some brass to it, since brass bands are a big component of showgirl culture.  The beat sounds almost disco-y, and that feel is pulled through with the string instruments in the background.  I think the most showgirly part of the song itself is Dasom's part, since she's pulling a breathy-talky thing a-la Marilyn Monroe.  

Lastly, after the actual music video is over, there's some cool behind the scenes footage of the girls with the Director and Choreographer I believe, and it's fun to watch!  I'm also pretty sure that those two are fabulously gay (but you didn't hear it from me).

Overall, even with continuity issues, this is a great release, and I hope Sistar does well!  I'd give the song 3.5/5 stars, and the video 4/5 stars.

What do y'all think of the song and video?

I had originally wanted to screencap this video, but with a new computer with Windows 8, I don't have paint anymore, but some bullshit called "Fresh Paint."  If anyone can help a girl out, let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment