Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Schoolboys: They're tougher than you think


So I was derping around on tumblr today, and I stumbled upon a group I didn't expect:  BTS.  They're also called the Bangtan Boys or Bulletproof Boy Scouts.

Yeah you read that right.  Bulletproof Boy Scouts.  Oy.

These boys are set to release their debut single "2 COOL 4 SKOOL" (another Oy) on June 12th, which is today!

The video above I'm guessing is their title track, since it's their only music video, and it's called "No More Dream."

Anyway, this group is a part of Big Hit Entertainment, which is a subset of JYP, and their labelmates are 2AM and GLAM.  Their age range is 15-20 years old.  I was a bit shocked to see how young these guys were, but these entertainment companies like to pick 'em young...anyway, as I was looking through their profiles, I noticed that 4 out of the 7 members are labeled as rappers (some also have dancer or visual along with the rapper title, but all of the members dance anyway, and the visual tag is just for promotion sooo....).  Usually, groups have more vocal members than rap members because kpop is very melody heavy, and there's always some catchy hook to sing along with.  I kind of sat there for a minute, and read over the profiles again.  There is only one main vocal in this group, as the other vocals are also labeled dancer/visual/rapper/whatever.  Big Hit is trying to pull off a rap group...with high school boys.

The only other super rap heavy Kpop group I can think of at the moment is B.A.P. (let me know if y'all know more than I do), but they have two lead vocals to pull off the catchy hooks so there is some melody to stick in your head, and they also have some older members so the tough, masculine image is more convincing.  Looking at these guys, no matter how you dress 'em up and how much make up you put on 'em, they still look like babies.  It's hard for me to take them seriously as masculine rappers when most of the group looks like they belong in a classroom tapping beats on their desks with pencils.  That, and the fact that in most of the video, they're rapping in front of a fucking school bus.  Go look at it!  It's a bright yellow school bus.  When was the last time y'all ever saw a school bus in a rap video?  NEVER.  They're also break dancing in some broken down classroom...which definitely reinforces the school boy image.  Like...what?  I'm just confused at the juxtaposition of this group...was this done on purpose?

The song itself is quite catchy.  I'm a rap/hip-hop fan myself, and I like the beat behind it.  Also, DAYUM that maknae (Jung Kook I think) can rap.  

Y'all.  It's BAD when the 15 year old can show up the rest of you.  Step up your game, boys!

Compared to him, the rest of the members are just kind of...blah. The only other member I noticed without looking back at the profiles was some fool named Suga who was rapping about cars, rings, and no big dream, wearing a bandana that was nearly twice the circumference of his head...dude, you're an okay rapper but you look stupid.

The leader of the group, whose stage name is Rap Monster (don't even get me started) doesn't even rap much in this at all...he's just yelling at us repeatedly.  What did I ever do to you, man?

This group certainly has an interesting concept...when you think about it, it's actually a tactful marketing angle.  By marketing these young schoolboys as masculine rappers, I do believe Big Hit is aiming for two target audiences:

1)  The schoolgirls - Y'all are probably saying "well duh, Kaya," but it's still important to point out!  These girls are stuck with their classmates all day, who they probably find boring and unattractive, and when they see these guys, the fantasy of a cool, super hot rapper who could be in your school comes to life.  These guys, if they do become successful, will serve an important market, since the rappers of most Kpop groups are much older than these middle/high school girls, making them seem more out of reach.  BTS's younger age  makes them seem more attainable (even though they really aren't), therefore, Big Hit can expect to make some money off of these girls.  

2)  The noonas - This is always a target market for boy groups, isn't it?  Although instead of using the cute tactic that most boy groups use when looking to snatch some noona cash, they pull the juxtaposition of being masculine with being young.  By rapping in front of a goddamn school bus, these women might think:  "oh how cute!  They're trying to be so tough!" or something along those lines.

If these guys were to debut in the US, they'd be ripped to shreds.  Although in South Korea, this combination may make the bank!  We'll just have to wait and see what happens.  They didn't impress me right off the bat, but they managed to pull enough interest for me to follow their fyeah tumblr blog and wait 'till they pop up on my dashboard again...

Do you like the image BTS is putting forward?  What do you think of the stage name Rap Monster?  Would you rap in front of a school bus?

Let me know!  

Oh!  And since I mentioned tumblr a few times in this post, mine is KayaKiraKira.  I do post jpop and kpop idol photos and gifs as well as anime and food.  If you like that stuff, give me a follow! ;)

2 comments:

  1. WOW this isn't exactly nice...
    You're going to judge a rapper by his name, seriously?
    I'm quite a new fan, so I'm not even considered that big of a fan because I haven't gotten into them that much. I just like their music. You also need to watch more of their videos. Maybe if you did a little more research instead of just looking at their profiles (which doesn't convey anything about their personalities or the immense talent they have) you would be more knowledgeable and understanding of them. They seem quite cool to me, it's not even just the image they are going for that seems 'cool' but their songs and the whole of the album is gold. You talked more about their visuals than the whole point of being a singer/rapper: the music!
    Their song 'I like it' is just too much to handle ._. Their voices and just everything is awesome! This song showcases their songwriting abilities, rapping and vocals xDDD
    As well as the other song called 'We are Bullet Proof Part 2' which has a music video btw, in my opinion this song shows more of their rapping abilities and dancing than 'No more dream' and I quite frankly don't understand why they didn't make their debut with this song but whatever.
    Over all I do think you should have looked into it more and maybe understood the lyrics of their songs which they took the time to write. Them being so young but so talented I feel sad when people judge them so quickly.
    I hope you understand that I'm in no way bashing you or trying to sound mean. I'm just trying to clarify some things xDDD
    I also like them because of how they upload videos of themselves doing vlogs and interacting with their fans :) They seem more down to earth than most rookies too!
    I'm pretty sure this wasn't a very serious blog post but I just wanted to tell you all these wonderful things about these rookies and further inform you about them. They also made a lot of before debut covers and modified the lyrics :) they sound awesme! They have also uploaded this to their youtube channel.
    I'm not trying to force you into liking them, you have your own opinion and stuff because thats your right but saying all these things about these BTS is mean...
    So please don't hate me and don't take this comment the wrong way xDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there miss Isabell!

      This post was honestly a reaction/first impression post more than a researched review. I found the video on Tumblr and decided to do a first impression of a new artist. I apologize for not being clear and not labeling it as such. The main reason I focused on image first was because that's a huge part of what Kpop is founded on. Image is everything, and it makes an even greater impression when you don't speak the language the song is written in and can't understand the lyrics right off the bat.

      I was much more impressed with Bulletproof Part 2 (but where's part one?) than I was with No More Dream.

      After doing more research, I definitely warmed up to the group more.

      I took a bit of a hiatus from this blog, but I recently posted my opinion about N.O, and the group in general if you'd like to check that out.

      If you have any more Kpop artists (or artists in general) that you'd like to bring to my attention and review, let me know and I'll take a look!

      Delete